Sunday, October 12, 2008

I was on AIR!

One fine morning as i was going to office in the cab, the driver was surfing radio channels and finally settled on one of the many channels which are airing now in namma bengaluru.

It was Aug 14th and there was some competition which was going on related to Independence Day. The RJ was asking a lady some question which was ; "From where is the 3-Lion symbol which is in our national emblem being taken from?"
The lady answered that it was taken from Vidhana Soudha!! (in Bengaluru) And she was quite confident about that as well.

This was when i thought let me also try as they were offering moolah as well if we answer the questions correctly. I registered my number and after that had forgotten about it.

When it was around 10 30, a lady called me from the radio station telling me that my number had been selected and the RJ will call me in sometime and ask me questions.

I was feeling jittery, nervous as this was the first time ever i was going LIVE on AIR! The RJ called and gave me some guidelines and also asked me to talk with JOSH.

Then the all important moment came.... I was on AIR!!

There were 3 types of questions ; Green which was easy
White which was of medium difficulty
Saffron which was deemed difficult.
He asked me to choose one among the above 3. As most of us would go for, i asked for a Green Question. He told me why not go for Saffron Question which would get me more money. I initially didnt agree but after some prodding went for a Saffron question. The question was ,"Whose birthday was on Sep 5th?"

I just shouted the answer! Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan :-)

As usual there was the customary applause and cheers sound which one gets to hear in radio. Whew... I had won a prize. Then he told me that i can also go for one more question called a CHAKRA question. If i answer it correctly i could double the prize i had won otherwise i would lose what i had won. I had my fingers crossed....

Devara mele bhaara haaki, i went for it. :-)

The question was "Who was the first woman mountain climber from India to climb Mt.Everest?"

Bachendri Pal ...

I was FLABBERGASTED!!
I had done it... :-) Some use of my GK finally!!


My team members and also some colleagues heard me on radio. There was real cheers and applause as well after that! :-)

As usual, TREAT... TREAT... was on every1's mouth.

I told them that once i get the prize money i will treat them.

And the best part is yet to come....
Nearly 2 months since, i haven't received the prize money yet!! :-)

1 comment:

Sridhar Prahlad said...

Gud one.. Love if u post regularly... :)

www.sandlewoodbuzz.blogspot.com